Another excellent promotion by Dave Muir and the Crest CC, and a very exciting race with an early breakaway group gradually whittling down to just two riders who were caught just metres from the finish line by the two riders from the chasing group after six laps of the tough, exposed Littlebury circuit in cold, windy weather.
1. Douglas Coleman CC Luton 115kms in 2-45-35
2. Wayne Crombie East London Velo ST
3. Dean Parkes Clay Cross Road Team ST
4. Felix Barker St Ives CC ST
5. Richard Price London Phoenix CC at 4 mins
6. Lloyd chapman Glendene CC same as above
7. Nick White East London Velo same as above
8. Colin ward Essex Roads CC same as above
9. Stuart Pryce Strada-sport same as above
10. Ben Knapp Dulwich Paragon same as above
First lap breakaway – Dean Parkes (Clay Cross RT), Felix Barker (St Ives CC), Lloyd Chapman (Glendene CC) and Colin Ward (Essex Roads CC)
Early chase group – Nick White (East London Vélo), Stuart Pryce (Strada Sport), Richard Price (London Phoenix CC), Unidentified Junior (CC Ashwell).
Doug Coleman (CC Luton) and Wayne Crombie (East London Vélo) separated from the bunch in the last part of the race and rode up to and eventually through the chase group (picking up only Richard Price) on their way to catching the remaining pair from the initial break within metres of the finish: particularly tough result for Dean Parkes and Felix Barker, particularly strong rides from Coleman and Crombie.
Some pictures here on facebook.
Some comments here:
“Ben rode a superb race and got 10th. I was top 20something. Very well
organised by Crest and a great circuit!”
“Well – that was tough. First Road Race done and dusted in the UK. Brilliant
organisation from Crest CC! Lovely race, fantastic course”
“You guys hosted a great day, fantastic “homely” club house and brilliant
volunteers. Great cake, smiley faces!”
“Thanks for a great race today. Great organization/support.”